Osteoarthritis, also known as the "wear and tear disease" is a degenerative joint disease. Osteoarthritis (OA) is a disease where the cartilage that covers the bone near joints deteriorates. You can imagine that this loss of cartilage can result in pain and loss of mobility. Let's walk through the symptoms and how you can manage these symptoms.
Here are the some of the symptoms of osteoarthritis:
- STIFFNESS: this symptom to more noticeable in the morning after several hours of non-activity.
- LOSS OF FLEXIBILITY: range of motion decreases as cartilage deteriorates.
- PAIN: the main reason OA patients seek help is because of the chronic pain. This pain tends to get worse due to activity and as the disease progresses.
- ANXIETY: many OA sufferers experience anxiety. Those with OA have a quality of life that includes pain, stiffness and loss of mobility. The anxiety and stress from dealing with chronic pain can take a toll on anyone.
No one wants to live a life of PAIN! Which is why there are several ways to manage this disease. Note: that these suggestions are not a diagnosis and that is if you have further questions regarding OA medication you should consult your doctor.
- Steroids and Narcotic Pain relievers: these treatment options are prescribed by your doctor. These prescribed medicines are generally used for flare ups and when the patient is in severe pain. They are not typically used as a pain management system.
- NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs): these drugs can be found over the counter as well as prescribed by your doctor. Based on your pain and symptoms your doctor will decide if prescription strength NSAIDs are right for you.
- Pain relievers: many OA sufferers will take over the counter pain relievers. These are only for pain and doesn't assist in reducing the inflammation.
- Glucosamine-chondroitin: is an herbal supplement. A natural substance, glucosamine-chondroitin, is believed to trigger cartilage production.
- Massage: Playing a huge role in health and wellness the use of consistent massage can relieve pain, swelling and anxiety. Patients that subscribe to receiving routine massages have seen an increase in mobility.
No matter what system you choose to manage your pain we at # IHTVA encourage you to explore your options. Life should be lived not dictated by pain! You are unique which is why Integrative Health Therapies incorporates massage to fit your life.